Contact | Charity Care Policy | News | Email Sign-Up | Secure Email Portal

Frequently Asked Questions

Overview | FAQs | School Program | Music Therapy | Contact

1. My family member’s speech sounds fine. Why are they seeing a Speech-Language Pathologist?
While speech is something we do work on, it is only one of the many services we provide. Here at Craig Hospital, your SLP addresses a number of issues including language (expression and comprehension), memory, attention, problem solving, reasoning, social pragmatic skills, AAC, voice, fluency, and swallowing disorders.

2. My family member has a swallowing disorder. Are they appropriate for Vitalstim?
While all of the SLP’s at Craig Hospital are Vitalstim certified, not all patients are appropriate for this treatment modality. The SLP will need to complete an MBSS and determine the etiology of the swallow disorder and then further determine the appropriateness of this treatment modality. It is a case-by-case decision.

3. My family member was not an inpatient-- are they able to come as an outpatient?
Call Margie Shockley, OP Intake Coordinator. 303-789-8474

4. I heard speech pathologists are an integral part of a driving assessment. What does this involve?
It is true that speech-language pathologists are involved in driving pre-assessments. Although this may vary from patient to patient, we are assisting in assessing several cognitive skills that are essential for driving. We complete formal and informal assessments to determine the appropriateness and work with other disciplines to assess and treat speed of processing, reasoning/judgment, attention/concentration, ability to muti-task, etc.

5. Do you take speech-language pathology master’s students interested in completing an internship?
Yes. Extensive application and interview processes are required. Please contact Jennifer Allport for more information at 303-789-8397

6. Can you tell me more about Music Therapy and who it would benefit?
Please visit the music therapy page to learn more.

7. Can you tell me about your school program?
Please visit the school program page to learn more.

8. Do you provide aphasia therapy?
Yes, all of our clinicians are skilled in treating all types and aspects of aphasia.

9. You say you treat spinal cord injury. Can you tell me more about that? 
A speech pathologist’s services may be needed if a patient has suffered a spinal cord injury (SCI). A person with a spinal cord injury may have a trach placed for respiratory needs and sometimes a ventilator will support their breathing.  When someone has a trach, with or without ventilator support, we work to achieve eating/drinking and communication goals.  Sometimes, these are dual injuries, meaning your loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in addition to a spinal cord injury. Overall, we assist the patient by providing cognitive support for learning all the new information he or she needs to be as independent as possible in managing self-cares and daily routines safely. This is often an overwhelming experience for patients as there is extensive new learning required after this type of injury. We like to be a part of this team, when needed, to help maximize the patient’s success in their program.